Saturday, April 18, 2009

Leftists Don't Believe in Free Speech

You know what?

This shouldn't come as any shocker, but yet it is Conservatives who are always portrayed as the enemies of basic freedoms.

I arrived in Austin, Texas, one evening recently to give a speech about academic freedom at the university there. Entering the hall where I was to give my speech, I was greeted -- if that's the word -- by a raucous protest organized by a professor and self-styled Bolshevik, Dana Cloud. Forty protesters hoisted placards high in the air and robotically chanted "Down With Horowitz," "Racist Go Home," and "No More Witch-hunts."

What good are universities if they allow such nonsense?

I don't know of a single leftist speaker among the thousands who visit campuses every term who has been obstructed or attacked by conservative students, who are too decent and too tolerant to do that. The entire evening in Texas reminded me of the late Orianna Fallaci's observation that what we are facing in the post-9/11 world is not a "clash of civilizations," but a clash of civilization versus barbarism.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124000847769030489.html

No comments: