Thursday, November 1, 2007

Paul Tibbets, American Hero

Paul Tibbets, commander of the B-29 which dropped the atomic bomb on Hiroshima died.

Serving in Europe and the Pacific he proved to be a most outstanding pilot, serving his country and our cause well.

I will never forgive those who tried to slander his good name and bravery.


Pilot of Plane That Dropped A-Bomb Dies


COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Paul Tibbets, who piloted the B-29 bomber Enola Gay that dropped the atomic bomb on Hiroshima, died Thursday. He was 92 and insisted for six decades after the war that he had no regrets about the mission and slept just fine at night.


"I knew when I got the assignment it was going to be an emotional thing," Tibbets told The Columbus Dispatch for a story published on the 60th anniversary of the bombing.

"We had feelings, but we had to put them in the background. We knew it was going to kill people right and left. But my one driving interest was to do the best job I could so that we could end the killing as quickly as possible."


"I sleep clearly every night."


http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/11/01/AR2007110101047.html

No comments: